June 26, 2009

White Bean and Sausage Soup

I made a soup the other day based on a recipe that I found HERE.

I made adjustments based on different dietary needs of my family. For the most part we do not eat pork. (Actually I am the only one that does and it is only in the form of pepperoni occasionally on pizza.) I was also trying to use up some of the items in my pantry.

First I started by soaking the navy beans overnight. Then I placed the beans in the crock pot with some home canned spicy tomato juice. Regular tomato juice would work as well and is what I plan to use next time I make it.

While the beans were simmering in the crock pot, I browned up a packaged of Jennie O Turkey Sausage (a kielbasa style sausage) adding about 2 tbsp olive oil to do so. I cut the sausage up into quarters first. After the sausage was browned, I added it to crock pot.

Next I cut up and sauteed some celery and carrots in the same skillet that I had used for the sausage. I did add a bit more olive oil at this point. After about ten minutes of sauteing I added the celery and carrots to the crock pot.

I also added salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and onion salt at this point. I am bad about measuring but would say about 1-2 tsp of each. At this point I let the soup cook on high in the crock pot for six hours or so. I just kept testing the beans to make sure they were done.

My family loved the soup. My boys (1.5 and 2.5) each ate two bowls of the soup.

A recap of the ingredients I used:
1 lb bag of navy beans
46 oz can of tomato juice
1 lb pkg of Jennie O Turkey sausage
2-3 tbsp olive oil
3-4 stalks of celery
1-2 medium carrots
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning

No comments:

Post a Comment